Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My eBay and Etsy Pointers

First of all I am not an expert at selling on either site, I have only been doing this for 4 months and I wish I could have found some EASY simple pointers to help out with both.  This is what works for me and everyone is different so it might not work the same for you.

At the beginning of each month you can list 50 auction style listings free.  When the item sells of course you pay the eBay fee from selling it and Paypal takes their cut from processing money part of the transaction.  I always list 50 items a month and try to list those items that I can't sell on Etsy and those that I feel will have several people wanting to purchase it so the selling price is almost endless.  At first this was for me is a guessing game, you just never know.  I had something listed for about $60 and it went for 2 1/2 times that amount.  Watch your emails from eBay as the run other no cost listing all the time as special promotions.

Etsy has rules what can and can't be sold and so far I have had only a couple items that I was not able to list.   Any item listed is only 20 each and runs for 4 months or until sold.  After the 4 months and the item has not sold you can re-list it and pay 20 cents.  When you sell something Etsy takes their fee which is less than eBay charges and then you of course pay the PayPal fee.

Etsy is a wonderful place to sell handmade creations, vintage goods and crafting supplies.  For someone who makes crafts this is the place to sell those items.  If items are hand made by a specialty group I would always promote that.  As a society we capitalize on things made by the Amish so I feel it is perfectly OK to say that the item you are selling was made by a Amish or by an Older Mennonite or whoever.  Not everyone will agree with this but that is OK.

Look through both sites and see what people are selling.  Things I think would never sell are some of my best sellers.  Try one or two of something before listing a huge amount.

I try and keep my prices reasonable.  I would rather sell it than to let it just sit around.  We purchase raw milk from an Amish farmer and he said he milked his cows twice a day but could do it three times a day and make more money but he just was trying to make a living and not trying to get rich and that is how I feel.

Some things I have good luck selling:
Vintage canning jars
Vintage linens of all kinds and not always in perfect shape
Vintage Wooden clothes pins
Wooden thread spools with and without thread
Vintage patterns
Craft books of all kind
Old kitchen utensils
Rolling pins
My homemade crocheted rag rugs
My homemade crocheted rag purses, bags, baskets
Vintage sewing items
Older purses
Spurs
Embroidery hoops
Crochet needles
Knitting needles
Vintage meat grinder
Vintage scissors

Except for the few things I make I get all my items at estate sales and auctions.  Look into the bottom of boxes of stuff there is usually a hidden treasure.  If there is something I can't sell I will see if anyone wants it free or donate it to the Goodwill.

Remember I am not trying to tell anyone how to do something I am just sharing things that have worked for me.  eBay and Etsy both have their pros and cons, it's up to you to find out what works best for you.

I welcome any pointers from anyone on how you make it work for you.  What are some of your best sellers?  What items would you recommend me selling?  I love shortcuts and would love to know yours.  Thanks

3 comments:

  1. Oh...other tips for Etsy would be... to use all the photo slots, list measurements of items & use all the tags. Change the placement photo after a few weeks//(you have 4) change the fetured items every few days..I try and rotate mine and have done well. Good luck!

    How are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, I will try and do some today as time and health permit.

      No shakes, sleeping a little better, stomach and back are still just about killing me. Have to call the doctors office with an update today and also will see if they have the lung biopsy setup yet.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are feeling better. Thank you for the tips and advice. One of my big sells is old handkerchieves and, another, old aprons. The older, the better. Also sell postcards. Postcards are great sellers for towns, attractions, restaurants, schools, colleges, etc.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete