Saturday, September 7, 2013

Birthday Chickens

My daughter Renee asked the other day if I wanted the rest of her chickens.  She has given me several throughout the season and decided to get rid of the rest.  She is working full time and just doesn't have time to give them.  So today on number 62 they delivered 9 hens and 1 rooster.  She gave me everything she had including her fencing and small coop.  I will use the coop as a brooder and also to put certain hens and a rooster in when I want to make sure that they mate with a specific rooster.  We have the fencing all up except for the fencing on top of it.  It will give the chickens an added 8' X 24' of run space.   We will finish it in the morning so they will have plenty of room to roam around.
So now we have 44 hens and 6 roosters.  We will see how well all the roosters get along and if any problems with that many we will have to butcher some.

No comments:

Post a Comment