Saturday, April 13, 2013

Chickens and Turkeys

Yesterday morning my first chicken hatched and then throughout the day I had several more chickens and a few turkeys hatch.  I've had some deaths to go along with the births.  Right now I have 11 chickens and 2 turkeys that are thriving in the brooder (level 3 nursery).  In level 2 nursery I have a chicken that will go to the brooder in the morning, 2 turkeys that probably won't make it.  One has a leg problem and the other is constantly on its back.  I also have a turkey that just got out of its shell and looks good.  In level 1 nursery I have lots of chicken eggs and several turkey eggs that candled good but have not started to hatch yet.  My hatch rate is less that I had hoped but need to remind myself this is the first time I have done this and there is no way to guarantee an egg is fertile, no way to guarantee that if if you do everything correct you will have a good outcome.  It's a gamble and I hate to gamble.
At this rate I will be putting more chicken eggs and turkey eggs in again next week and hope to have a better outcome.

First egg that hatched.

First batch of chickens and turkeys going out to the brooder.

The black ones are turkeys.

I guess they were a little frightened, the minute I put them in the transfer box they peed and pooped.  

No comments:

Post a Comment