Thursday, April 4, 2013

New Babies Due Next Week

Starting next Wednesday babies should start hatching.  First there will be chickens and then on Saturday the turkeys and more chickens will start to hatch.  When my granddaughter Hannah was here helping me on Monday we candled all the eggs in 2 of the incubators and am really disappointed with the results.  We put an X on eggs we think should hatch and ? marks on ones we weren't sure of.  We have more eggs without any marks and am disappointed.  I have to remember that this is the first time I've done this so I shouldn't be so hard on myself.  We did not candle the 3rd incubator with only 6 turkey eggs as it was too early for  someone not really trained to see something.  I will candle them this weekend.  For sure when the incubators get done they will be sanitized and filled again.  I have been saving the turkey eggs for the last few days and have 3 and by next Thursday sure hope to have several more.
As busy as the 2 roosters are the chicken eggs should all be fertile.  It only takes 2 days of saving eggs to fill the incubator and will use the one with the turkey eggs in it now to fill with chicken eggs.
I would love to find someone local who would take me under their wing so I could learn some of this type of things.  I'm thinking about putting an ad on Craigslist asking for someone who raises their own meat chickens if they would like some free help in exchange for teaching me to kill and clean chickens and turkeys.  I've read a lot, watched videos on YouTube but doing it is the best teacher.  Or maybe I could call my county extension office to see if they know of someone who might want to be teach me; this is probably the safest thing to do.  I'll put that on my to do list for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment