Friday, August 9, 2013

Intestinal Infection Possibly from Chicken

For the last 3 weeks I have not been feeling well at all.  After an incident of feeling like I was going to pass out Saturday I called the doctor on Monday and saw one of the other doctors in the practice, my doctor is on vacation. He ran all sorts of blood tests and a stool test.  All my blood tests came back perfect but the stool came back positive for white blood cells.  They ran more test and I have an bacteria in my intestines that chickens can carry. The bacteria are not harmful to them but to others it can be.  When I butchered the first group of chickens I wore rubber gloves but the other 2 times I did not.  So any little cut I had the bacteria could have entered my system.  Or you can get it from eating uncooked chicken, or from bacteria on a cutting board.  I have no idea how I got it nor does the doctor and it might not have been from chicken. I am a lot OCD when it comes to cleaning and I clean with bleach but when I butcher the chickens the blood gets caked on my hands until I get done.  I am now on antibiotics and might have to have 2 rounds of it to get it cleared up because I had a lot of the bacteria in my system.
So from now on I will be wearing rubber gloves when I butcher chickens and picked up some disposable gloves and will wear them when I collect eggs in case they have some feces on them.  I will only use the disposable gloves until I get over this and will be very careful from now on.  I've had the chickens for 3 years and this is the first time I got something so I'm pretty sure it was from getting blood on my hands and into a small cut that I had.  I'm just glad that they found out why I have been so sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment