Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Snake and A Mole

Today was a beautiful day out so I decided to to take pictures of some of the items for Etsy and eBay outside.  I gathered everything and set up my spot.  Before I started I noticed that all the laying hens were in the back corner of their run.  It was unusual so I went over to see what was going on.  There was a small snake all coiled up, scared of the chickens and the chickens were just watching the intruder.  I got a stick and tried to get it but was unable.  So I decided to go in the run with a spade to get it out.  The run is only 4 feet high some stupid thing we did not think thru when building the run.  I got in and before I got over to the snake it got out of the run and went under the turkey coop.  Got out of the run and went over by the turkey coop to see if I could see the snake but it was gone.   Out of the corner of my eye I notice the soil moving by the turkey run.  I carefully went over by the chicken coop where I keep a spade and go back to the turkey run area making sure to not to make any noise.  I watched the area and after watching the dirt move I stuck the spade in the ground several times in that area and then dug up a nice dead mole.  I will kill moles but will not kill snakes.  Moles destroy the yard and the snakes will eat mice and little critters.  I am not afraid of snakes but mice will send me running in the opposite direction.
I finally was able to get my pictures started and did this for 3 1/2 hours.  Got everything I wanted to get done today now I have a huge amount to do tomorrow outside if it doesn't rain.  If it rains the stuff I have left can be done inside but I would rather be outside even tho it is more work taking it all out and then bringing it back into the house.  Outside I get to hear the chickens, listen to the roosters and enjoy nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment