Monday, July 15, 2013

The Chickens and Chicken Broth are Canned

First thing this morning I took the chicken out of the roaster, strained the broth and put it back into the roaster.  Added a little dehydrated celery and a pinch of dehydrated onions and cooked it for a while.  Then I removed the chicken from the bones.  This is one of my most hated jobs.  Got that done and got out 2 canners to get things canned.  I canned 7 quarts and 1 pint of chicken broth and 7 pints of chicken.  Not as much chicken as I was hoping to get.  Some laying hens are not big chickens so that is why they were small.

Picked 4 tomatoes and 8 cucumbers tonight.  The tomatoes are starting to turn now.  There are several that I will be able to pick this week.  Last night Ron and I pulled the onions and laid them out to dry.  We have a lot of nice sized yellow and white onions this year.  My red onions are pretty small.  I never get big red onions and they are my favorite.

Chicken and broth from the chickens we dressed out this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment