Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Chickens are in the Roaster.

I just finished putting the chickens in the roaster, filled it with water, add a little salt and pepper and now will cook all night.  I really had to squeeze them together to get them in the one roaster.  I have 2 roasters but that means having to clean two of them when done.
We will butcher chickens next weekend, not sure exactly how many but it will probably be more than 6.  I told Renee, Tony and Brandon that I was really thinking about butchering a small pig.  We can get a pig from the Amish by us.  The only thing I wouldn't be able to do is to kill it.  The best way is to shoot it in the head and we don't own a gun.  Our neighbor hunts and he would probably do it for me.  Something to think about doing in the early fall.  The older I get the more things I want to do for myself.  I LOVE the shows on the History Channel that show the people who live off the land up in Alaska.  I've said for years I would love to live one full year in Alaska to experience all the seasons and to raise as much of my own food and to hunt for the rest.  I know it wouldn't be easy but nothing worth doing is.
I've also said I was born in the wrong generation.  To travel across the country in a wagon train would have been my choice of time of life.  Hard but a rewarding lifestyle to me.

The roaster with the 6 hens we dressed out yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading your blog for quite a while, but this is my first time to comment. We are raising chickens for the first time and we have lots to learn - so far they've been a blast to raise! Thanks for sharing this post.

    ~Taylor-Made Ranch~
    Wolfe City, Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I have lots to learn also it's an on going thing. Your never to old to learn and I am proof of that. Good luck and I've learned a lot from videos on YouTube.

      Delete