Friday, October 5, 2012

Cooking for the Busy Weekend

This weekend my daughter Renee and I are having a yard sale so I thought I would make up some snacks for everyone.  Plus it is rainy and cool and the heat from the oven feels good; that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  I baked a batch of chocolate cookies using the brownie mix that I posted about on May 31st.   I also made a batch of pumpkin cookies using my canned pumpkin.  I was on a roll so I baked a peach cobbler, apple cobbler and raspberry cobbler.  I used a quart each of the peach pie filling, apple pie filling and raspberry pie filling that I canned this year.
I also have a pot of chili started that I will put in the crock pot Saturday morning so we can at least have something a little healthier and hot for the cool day.  Sunday we will have shredded BBQ pork sandwiches for lunch.  I have some in the freezer so all I have to do is add a little more BBQ sauce to it and put it on low in the crock pot to heat it up.   All the canning I did is sure coming in handy.  I used 2 qts of the chili beans that I did earlier this week and 2 quarts of chopped tomatoes I did this summer for the chili.   I love to cook for others so I don't consider it work; just some love.  After all the cooking for this weekend I will have some empty canning jars.  :)

Pumpkin Cookies

1 Cup shortening
2 Cups white sugar
2 Cups pumpkin
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger

Cream shortening and sugar.
Add eggs and pumpkin.
Combine dry ingredients.
Add to shortening and sugar mixture.
Mix well.
Drop by teaspoonful onto greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes.
I mixed some powdered sugar with a little cinnamon and sprinkled on the cookies as I removed them from the oven.

Cobbler Topping

1 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 c oil

Combine all ingredients, it will be very thick and you might think this isn't going to work.  Drop by spoonfuls over the fruit and bake for 45 - 50 minutes at 375 degrees.


Peach, raspberry and apple cobblers.   My daughter Gina was over so I sent a piece of each home for my son in law Ali.

Pumpkin cookies, cake type of cookie and oh so good.

Chocolate brownie cookies.

Chili for Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment