Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

On Monday I say a recipe on moneysavingmom.com that caught my eye.  The recipe was for pumpkin pie oatmeal.  I love pumpkin pie and oatmeal so I thought I would give it a try.

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal For One

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup whole milk (can also use skim, almond, or rice milk)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmug
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • Brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup
Mix oats, milk, water, and spices together in a small saucepan on the stove. Bring to slow simmer. Stir in the pumpkin and cook until done, approximately 3-4 minutes.
Sprinkle with sugar or drizzle with honey or maple syrup and serve warm with milk.

The above was her version but I changed it a little to suit my taste and ingredients I had on hand.

To a small pan I added the following:

3 TBSP powdered milk
1/2 c oatmeal
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c water
1/2 c pumpkin (used pumpkin cubes I canned)

I took a fork and smashed the pumpkin and cooked on low until done.  I sprinkled brown sugar on top and it was very good.  I made my first bowl on Tuesday while canning and again this morning while I was canning.
You could also make up packets of this ahead of time and add the wet ingredients when you cook it.
Put the powdered milk, oatmeal and spice in a baggie or small container.  This is a wonderful way to get a little fruit for breakfast.

Pumpkin oatmeal with brown sugar on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment