Saturday, July 7, 2012

Canning Crazy Day

Ron and I got up at 5 am this morning and started our long day of canning.
1st caner 12 ea pts and 1 ea 1/2 pt of new Yukon Gold Potatoes, all potatoes we scraped the skins off and all were very small beautiful delicious potatoes.
2nd caner 18 ea pts of red potatoes, all potatoes were prepare the same as the Yukon Gold.
3rd caner 4 ea pts of red potatoes, all potatoes were prepared the same as the Yukon Gold.
1st boiling water bath, 6 ea pts of pickled beets.
2nd boiling water bath 8 ea 1/2 pts and 3 ea 3/4 pts of sweet pickle relish.
At 5 pm we were finished and took much needed showers and then we went out to eat at Apple Bees.
3 pints of potatoes did not seal so I will redo them first thing in the morning.  The peaches are ripening fast so another long day of canning will take place tomorrow.  I need to get as much as I can get done while Ron is home to help me.  He will be working M-Thur so I will be canning solo the rest of the week.  I don't know what I would have done if he wasn't helping me.  The peaches will go a lot faster than the potatoes and I have 2 large water bath caners so I will have both of them going at the same time.  When we were out for supper I had to stop and get some more regular mouth canning lids.  I have plenty of wide mouth lids and thought I had regular lids but was wrong.  I am almost out of pint jars and if I get some corn I will have to freeze it instead of canning it.  I would much rather can it but I don't want to invest in any more pint jars at this time.  I will have to watch garage sales this fall and next spring and try and pick up some.  Just realized that I need some more lemon juice and my daughter Gina is stopping by tomorrow for some things so I wrote and asked her to pick up a couple bottles for me. 
Later, take care.

All the stuff we canned today, look at those beautiful potatoes.



 http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xpTOG4KS-4Y/T-t58TezevI/AAAAAAAAItA/CfSbdHuIlZM/s200/Barn-Hop.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Yay for you! I have never canned potatoes. I have enjoyed using my new pressure cooker this year and I think I am finished with canning for this season. :o) I posted about my canning on my blog.

    Bless you!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you do some canning, would you pickle me some eggs? Gladly pay for em. All I can find anymore are the ones that pickle in beet brine and those are so rubbery. Just want so good old fashion bar style pickled eggs.

    ReplyDelete