Saturday, September 8, 2012

Yard Work Day

Since we have been getting rain the last couple of weeks the yard is finally green and needs cuts more often.  Ron did the trim work while I did the mowing.  This is the first time in the last 3 months that I had help  doing the yard work and it was real nice.  It is so nice out that we are able to turn off the AC and I love that.  After the yard work we went into town and picked up Brandon so he could spend the night.  I made eggplant parmigiana for supper.  Used eggplant from our garden, sauce that we canned last month and cheese that I made.  It was very good, Brandon the picky eater had mayo sandwiches.  There is seriously something wrong with that child, if he doesn't like what we are having he must fend for himself and most of the time he has to fend for himself when he comes.
After getting Brandon we stopped at the store and picked up 5 turkey breasts that were on sale for 99 cents a pound and in a couple of weeks when we are not so busy I will thaw them out and Ron and I will make ground white turkey and then use the bones and can some broth.  I love to use ground turkey to make meat loaf and grinding my own I know exactly what is in it.  I also picked up 5 boneless chuck roasts, cut 3 of them in half for 2 meals each and then the other 2 roasts I cut up in small pieces for stew and soups.   The 5 roasts will yield 12 meals.  Since I have all the fruit and vegetables canned up I will hopefully start making room in the freezer and get the bacon canned.  I have about 30 lbs to do and a quart wide mouth jar holds a little under 1 lb of bacon.  After the bacon gets canned I will do some beans; black, pinto, lima and red.  I will also make some chili beans using pinto beans.  I have a couple shank hams in the freezer and will use 1 to can some ham and beans.  I also have canning some white chicken chili on my list.  Using some chicken and 1 of the hams and canning the bacon should make more room in the freezer.  I am almost out of egg noodles, completely out of home made spaghetti noodles and down to a couple pie crusts so the space in the freezer is needed.  I think I have a never ending list but I like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment