Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Cloudy, Ugly Day

It was a icky day today.  It was wet, cool and the sun was nowhere to be seen.  Made a trip into the village to the post office; then back home to list several jars on EBay.
For supper tonight I took a package of ground chicken and made a meatloaf, a quart of potatoes, drained them, drizzled some olive oil on them and sprinkled some garlic powder then baked uncovered for about an hour.  I also heated up a pint of calico butter beans and called it a perfect meal.  I love to open the pantry and see what wonderful things I can use.  Since I have been canning we eat a wide variety of things.  Before if I couldn't find an item on sale I wouldn't get it.  Now if I find it on sale I preserve it to enjoy for a long time.   Someone said to me once that they didn't can because they didn't have a garden.  You don't need a garden to can, watch for things to go on sale or glean the neighbor's garden/orchard.  Every week I look at Aldi's ad to see what fruit or veggies are on sale to see if there is something I want to put up.  Examples: carrots can be canned plain, pickled, dehydrated or add to jars of soup veggies; mushrooms can be canned or dehydrated; onions can be dehydrated or frozen; celery dehydrated; potatoes canned and dehydrated the possibilities are endless.  The key is to make sure you wait until things are on sale.   November and December you can get celery, cranberries, sweet potatoes, turkey and ham on sale.  The week between Christmas and New Years you can get lemons on sale; I dehydrate slices to add to ice or hot tea.  Again the key is to wait until you find things in season and on sale.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Paula...you have me more and more convinced I should invest in a pressure canner. Your simple meal sounds like a feast! Hope you're healing nicely. :)
    Warmly,
    Tracey
    x0x
    P.S. Love the dehydrated lemon in tea idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing pretty good, my left hand is going much better than my right hand did 3 years ago.
      The pressure canner investment for me was well worth it.

      Delete
  2. I do not have a garden and have canned almost 700 jars of food. I did exactly as you said and canned what was on sale. I have decided that canning meat IS the best money saver. At this time I am waiting for turkey's to go on sale. I want to make ground turkey for the freezer and can the meat as much as possible. Everything is SO handy to have ready to eat, I can make a good meal in minutes!!!Still hoping to get some pumpkins have'nt had time yet!!!Take care, sending our thoughts and prayers, G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until I can get some meat on sale and can it. I know the chicken, turkey, ham and bacon I've canned so far has come in real handy.

      Delete