Monday, August 6, 2012

Canning Split Pea and Ham Soup and Dehydrating Tomatoes

I had a long busy day today in the kitchen.  I canned 15 quarts and 1 pint of Split Pea with Ham Soup, have 3 trays of cherry tomatoes drying to make into tomato powder and baked 2 loaves of Banana Bread.  It was another nice day out with the sun shinning and a nice breeze.  I have just one load of clothes hung out today and love to watch them blow in the breeze.
For the soup, I cooked the beans with added seasonings in one pot and the cut up ham, onion and ham broth in another pot.  I added 1 ladle of the ham into each jar and then filled the jars with the split peas.  It smells so yummy in the house right now.  The soup will be a nice welcome to a cold day this winter.  When we have ham again I will use the left over ham and can some Pinto Bean and Ham Soup.
I have a lot of zucchini in the fridge and need to come up with something to use it in tomorrow.  I'm thinking of making several loaves of Zucchini Bread and then freeze it.  I made 2 loaves of Banana Bread today to use up some past their prime bananas.  I left one loaf out to eat now and froze the other for later.  I have several frozen bananas that I put in the freezer when they were past their prime earlier this year so maybe I'll take them out and use them up also.
Brandon is here for a couple of days, I picked him up when I went in to town.  When he is here he is the one who takes the pictures for the blog; he likes photography and is planning to take some classes in high school.   I was going through some old recipes and came across the Banana Bread recipe that I used today.  I have not used this recipe in at least 25 years.  Here is the recipe I used:

Banana Bread
1/2 c butter
1 cup of sugar
1 egg
2 large bananas smashed
pinch of salt
2 TBS milk
1 tsp baking soda
2 c flour

Cream together the butter and sugar, add the egg, smashed bananas and milk and mix well.  Mix the dry ingredients together and then add to the wet mixture.  Pour into a greased bread pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until a tooth pick stuck in the middle comes out clean.

Banana Bread



Tomatoes ready to go into the dehydrator.

First I added a scoop of ham and onions to the jar.



Then I filled the jar with the split peas.

15 qts and 1 pt of Split Pea with Ham Soup.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Bet it smelled wonderful at your house today. With the soup, did you use a pressure cooker? & for how long? Thats always my question when I can soups and stews with meat. I of course want them safe but not over process the rest of the contents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went by if your canning pork and it says 90 minutes for quarts. I read that you process by list of ingredients and use the highest time. Example, if you are canning some potatoes with some type of meat; the potatoes take 40 minutes for a quart but you want to add some beef to them. Chunks of beef take 90 minutes, so you would can the beef with potatoes mixture for 90 minutes. Hope that makes sense.

      Delete