Monday, August 27, 2012

Pickled Carrots and Apple Pie Filling

On Sunday I canned the 10 lbs of carrots that I got on sale this week for 49 cents a pound.  I used them to make pickled carrots and got 16 pints.  After the carrots Ron helped and we made 15 quarts of apple pie filling.  We used an apple peeler that cores, peels and slices the apple.  Ron did that part and I cut out any bad spots and put them in the huge pot of water with lemon juice in it.   Having the apple peeler made things so much easier and it went real fast.  Next thing using the apples Renee and I will be making applesauce.  We can get some peaches and make apple peach sauce and if we find some more pears we can make apple pear sauce.  I want to pick some more apples to make some dehydrated apple chips.  Last year I made apple chips and sprinkled a little cinnamon on them and they were delicious.  This year I hope to make a lot more than I did last year.  They are nice to snack on and very healthy.
Spices in the jars for the pickled carrots.


Pickled carrots with the brine.

16 pints of pickled carrots.

Apple Pie filling.

Some of the 15 quarts of Apple Pie filling that I did today.








3 comments:

  1. Those apples look great, I think I can smell the filling over here...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a jar this morning and made 3 little pies, can't wait to taste it.

      Delete
  2. I have never made Pickled Carrots. They sound interesting.

    That pie filling looks so good. I can taste the hot apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top now. Yum!!! Thank you for sharing this at the Carnival of Home Preserving!

    ReplyDelete