Friday, August 3, 2012

Zucchini/Tomato Salsa

I started some salsa yesterday afternoon and finished making it this morning.  We had some of this at the birthday get together we went to on Monday and it was very good.  Gina made it a little different that the below recipe because she does not like tomatoes.  I followed the recipe except I did not have any brown sugar so I used white sugar.  There was a small amount left after filling the jars so I had it for my lunch and it was very good.  The zucchini, peppers and onions came from my garden and the tomatoes were some that Renee gave me that she had given to her.  Some of the tomatoes went to the chickens because they were pretty bad but I managed to salvage 12 to use for the salsa.
Everyone I see or talk to I tell them if they they know someone who has extra garden items that they don't want I would love to have them.  My husband even offered to garden sit for one of his coworkers but they already had asked a neighbor.


Zucchini/Tomato Salsa

Directions:


  1. Day one:In a large bowl combine; Zucchini, onions, green pepper, red pepper and the salt Mix together cover and let stand over night.
  2. Day two.
  3. Next day rinse, drain well and put into a large pot then add mustard, garlic, cumin, vinegar, brown sugar, pepper flakes, salt,cornstarch, nutmeg, pepper, tomatoes and tomato paste.
  4. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
  5. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
  6. Water bath jars for 15 minutes.

    7 pints and 4 small jars of Zucchini/Tomato salsa.




No comments:

Post a Comment