Monday, August 27, 2012

Pie Day

I am caught up on things that need canned and got 2 loads of wash hung out so I decided to make some pies today.  I wanted to get a peach pie made and took up to the people who let me pick their trees.  The gentleman who lives there asked me the day I asked about picking the trees if I knew how to make a peach pie.  So I need to live up to my part of the bargain for picking the trees.  I've already taken him up some jelly, jam and some zucchini bread.  So later today I am taking him up a peach pie and a little apple pie.  I made 1 peach, 1 blackberry and 3 small apple pies this morning.  I had a little bit of dough left so I got a pear, peeled and cored it and sprinkled the inside of it with a little vanilla sugar. I then rolled the dough into a circle, put the pear in the middle of it and brought the sides up to enclose the pear.  I then sprinkled a little more vanilla sugar on it and baked it.  It looks like an apple dumpling.  I'll let you know how it tastes, my husband likes pears so he will be the taste tester.  The blackberry pie is my husbands favorite and it is a thank you or bribe, depending on how you look at it for helping me with the canning this weekend.
I also redid the 2 batches of the green grape jelly that did not set that Renee and I made last week.  I can already tell that it is going to jell just perfect this time.  Not sure what happened but all is well now.  I will only keep a jar of it, take a jar of it to the people who I am taking the pies to and give the rest to Renee.

L to R, pear dumpling, 3 small apple pies, blackberry pie and peach pie.  The peach  and 1 apple pie are a thank you  to the people who let us glean their threes.

1 comment:

  1. I bet they never thought they would have so many treats! Those pies look great and I've done something similar with apples where you used a pare. But the Hubby loved it

    ReplyDelete