Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rags for Rugs All Cut and Ready

I spent most of my day sitting at the table under the pergola cutting strips for rag rugs.  I finished everything and now I need to tie the strips together and then roll them up in balls.  It was so nice out today so I took advantage of the nice weather.  This past weekend it was in the 90's, today in the low 70's and tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 50's and finally we should get some much needed rain.
Renee and I take our stuff to the shop tomorrow, really anxious about it.  Was going to see about picking some raspberries that they found on one of their 4 wheeling trips but with the rain in the forecast that doesn't look promising. 
I know I said I wasn't making plans anymore but Friday I plan on making some ham and cheese buns, hamburger in the buns, pizza buns and need to make up a batch of Quick Mix (like Bisquick).  I keep a batch of Quick Mix, Corn Bread Mix and Muffin Mix in the refrigerator all the time so I have it to make up when needed.  I'm not sure where I got the recipes for all this stuff but I will share all of them one at a time.  Today I am sharing the Quick Mix recipe.

Quick Mix

8 1/2 cups of flour 
4 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk or dry buttermilk powder
2 1/4 cups vegetable shortening

Mix all dry ingredients together, with pastry blender or heavy duty mixer cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal in texture.  Put in airtight container and store in cool dry place (I keep mine in the spare refrigerator).  Makes 13 cups of Quick Mix.

For Biscuits:
3 cups Quick Mix and 3/4 cup milk or water.  Mix, drop by spoonful and bake on a greased baking sheet at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

For Drop Dumplings:
3 cups Quick Mix and 3/4 cup milk or water.  Mix and drop on top of stew, chicken and noodles or soup.  Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.

You can use this mix just like you would use Bisquick.


No comments:

Post a Comment