Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Soap Making Day

Didn't sleep well last night so I slept in until after 7 this morning.  Did not take my morning walk so after supper I plan on walking up the road to pick some mulberries and some of their leaves to use to make soap.  Brandon is coming over to spend the night so I thought both of us would go pick the stuff.
I made 4 batches of soap this morning and each batch yields a little under 5 1/2 lbs.  I made carrot soap with some the carrots that I got on sale and had cooked and froze for when they were needed.  I then made cucumber soap, spinach soap with the spinach I picked from my garden.  The last batch was made with the avocado skins and seeds that I cooked and froze last week.  I will take them out of the molds Friday morning and then they will sit out to cure for several weeks.  I will post a picture of them when I take them out.  As it dries and cools down it will change colors, so it is very hard to tell exactly what you'll end up with compared to when you poured it.  If the additive that was used in the soap has natural sugars that affects the color.  Buttermilk is white and the oils that I use to make that soap would yield a white soap.  But because the buttermilk has natural sugar it turns a golden color.  Right now the carrot soap is a pale orange, the spinach is a rich green, cucumber is a pale green and the avocado is a rust color.
Later, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment